05 January 2008

Happy Birthday Wish...

Well, today's the last day of my family's holiday season...my birthday.

Before I go to celebrate with them, I wanted to share some interesting things about me...things that make up much of my personality and my attitude in this world.

1) Before I was born, about the time I was concieved, Judy Garland passed away.

2) Men landed on the moon months before I was born...

3) Richard Nixon was president of the United States when I was born in 1970.

4) We were at war when I was born-Viet Nam.

5) Charles Manson went on trial and was convicted of manslaughter when I was about two weeks old...he missed the death penalty by sheer humanitarian luck, and would spend all of my life in prison...he will probably be there all of my life.

6) When I was three years old, troops pulled out of Viet Nam, broken and battered only to come home to being shattered by their own countrymen and women.

7) When I was five (I think) Nixon "resigned" from office, and the Viet Nam war officially ended.

8) I was 7 years old when Elvis Presley died....

9) I was about 9 or 10 when Americans where taken hostage in Iran...and with the cunning that was the late Ronald Reagan, rescued...

10) I was 12 when John Lennon was killed on the street right in front of his wife, Yoko (uggghh) and his son.

11) When I was 14 or so, a dominating in your face woman burst on the music scene forever changing my view of strong women-Madonna...then came my girl-Cyndi Lauper.

12) About that time, Michael Jackson won a ton of Grammy's making an historic record....and EVERYONE loved him at the time...hmmm....

13) I watched the entire Live Aid concert at the age of 15 and participated in Hands Across America...just because my favorite singers did.

14) When I was 19, I cheered as I watched the Berlin Wall fall on television...that was the MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

15) I was 21 when we went to war a second time-Desert Storm/Shield

16) At 26, I couldn't take my eyes off the television as I saw the devestation of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City...couldn't believe it was an American who had done this...and that he was unconcerned that he had taken out a day care center on the property too..

17) Also at 26 I watched the Towers get hit the first time, and was frustrated because Osama bin Ladden had walked out of this country alive afterwards....

18) I was 30 when the world freaked out for no reason over a situation that many were already working to aviod-Y2K...

19) When I was 31 I watched helplessly as Cincinnati went through a race riot....

20) In that same year, I cried and prayed as the Towers were bombed again by the same man and his organization-9/11. For the first time in years, I watched my nation and the world stand up and band together....patriotism at it's best!! I watched as our troops were deployed to war against terrorism.

21) I was 33 in March of 2003 when our president sent our troops further into war, this time the target was Saddam Houssein and Iraq. It's been 7 years since we went to war...my third war.



It's amazing what I have seen in this lifetime....and it's amazing how I have been living.

You see, throughout all of these events, a young girl grew to womanhood....

I walked in light and in dark...I have watched 5 people that I love die, and 20 people I love come into this world...I have laughed, I have cried, I have loved and I have survived.

So, today as I am celebrating my birthday, I am thinking about the lessons I have learned, and the one I will learn before Death comes to say hello to me for the first time-so far, Death has kept a distance, only waving hello from afar....we will have our day, but not yet-Death knows that when I turn a half century old, I am going to celebrate like it was the last day that the earth would survive...lol

War is still going on, and I am still worrying about the state of affairs on Mother Earth...but I know that I can't control everything, and I know that it takes more than me to change the world...

However, let's not get down and sad over the affairs of the world, because right now, I am going to celebrate...and not just the fact that I am another year older....but celebrate LIFE!!! Another year, and we are all friends...new and old, we are still around to make each other laugh, cry, worry, and protect...

Tonight, as you settle in for the night, pour yourself a glass of something-wine, Captain Morgan, whiskey, milk, soda, juice-lift it towards the moon if you see it, and if not towards the sky and salute life....that is my birthday gift from you!!!!

Everyone have a great evening....that is what I intend to do!!!!

Karol Lynn/Raven

No comments:

Mists of Avalon

Two days in a row!  WOW!! I have been re-reading Mists of Avalon.   I know, last year I was supposed to be a part of a book discussion on it...